Saturday, September 1, 2007

Aug wrap-up session

what a month! i had 1 losing session in 11 and was up almost 25 buyins. i credit a lot of that to being on the right side of variance (running pretty hot), but i can also say i played well.

often sessions come down to 4-5 big hands that make the difference. following a session, on-line players have the luxury of reviewing their hand histories including every detail about their opponents etc. while i don't have all the hard data sitting in front of me on a screen, i seem to have pretty good recall for my big hands in a session. writing them down here in this blog also helps me digest my play and whether i thought i played a hand correctly. its been a good learning experience so far. thanks for coming along on my adventures.....

so i played in a home game last night for about 5 hours and ended down 1/3 of a buyin. i was running pretty cold and didn't really get too many hands. maybe it's a good thing though as one of the players stacked off twice with KK vs. AA and AK into AA on a K high board. and that was at a 7 handed table. pretty much coolers. the host (damn you CG!) mopped up the field as has typically been the case. he made a nice laydown when i flopped the nuts with the ace high flush and he held top pair / top kicker.

so after busting up another player with a turned straight vs. 2 pair, the game broke and i decided to head up to oceans 11 for short session. i got there about 1am and knew that i would only be playing til 4am or so when my brother was getting into town. [they drove at night due to the oppressing heat of late and a broken a/c in the car].

about 10 minutes in, i doubled up when i flopped 2 pair with KQ vs. AA. he let me get there cheap too. i made a standard raise in middle position and he just called on the button. i flopped 2 pair and bet out and he raised. i three bet him and he tanked and then pushed all in. i couldn't shove my "All In" pumpkin quickly enough. he bricked out and i took a nice pot.

i had already put in for a table change as there was some juicy action on the table next to me. a very loose aggressive player had a huge stack and there was another donkariffic guy who i've played with before (i wrote about a hand in which he told me he folded a flopped straight vs. my set on an unpaired board cuz he thought i might have a full house! i did end up with a boat, but whatever...) anyway, the table was looooooose and bluffy. i didn't need to wait that long to get paid off.

i raised a couple of limpers on the button with pocket 5s. loosey goosey called me in the big blind. the flop was ace high and he checked to me. him calling a preflop raise meant absolutely nothing. he has even told me before that hand selection is one of his least important criteria. once he is in a pot, he will call raises with any two. anyway, so he checked to me on the flop and i bet. he called. now i'm done with the hand. he probably has a hand like A-10 or A-9, and i'm drawing pretty slim. i was going to fold to a turn bet, until the jakepot card hit: a 5! he led out pretty strong. i have seen him push his hands when he thinks he has the best of it and make some pretty thin value bets on the river. i thought about raising the turn, but i knew he would lead again on the river if i looked weak. i smooth called his turn bet. river Q. he fires out a big bet of more than half of my remaining stack. i thought there was a good chance he made two pair. i pushed and he insta-called me with AQ, top 2 pair.

soon after i called after several limpers with K-9 and flopped top 2 pair. a guy who i wasn't familiar with check-raised me on the flop. i might lose him if i re-raise, so i just called. he led strong on the turn and i just called. the river brought another brick and unless he had check-raised with a straight draw, i had him. he made a big bet on the river, which i just called (instead of raising without the nuts). i knew i had him beat, but i "called" him so he had to show down his hand first. he, of course, could muck it and save himself the embarrassment but he chose to show a bluff with 3rd pair. when someone 3 barrel bluffs, i want to see what they have when i call.

anyway, it was a great session (+2.5 buyins including the small loss in the home game) to wrap up the month. later on, i'll post what my final BB/hour winrate was for the month. looking forward to the next syndicate event on monday. it's time to start making some noise.

4 comments:

Ja Mata said...

I don't quite get the BB/Hr for NL play. In Limit games, if you can make 3XBB/hr you are a hero. The blind is insignificant to the play and the unstructured betting compared to limit.

That is why you need to play the 40-80 table so you can make 240 per hour or about 200K per year IF you are good. You also will swing your back-roll 20K per playing session very easily at those stakes with 6-8K buy ins minimum and you may play through 3-4 buy-ins per session of you are on a bad streak.

What is the best way to look at one performamce? I like to make a certain about per hour average to make it worth my while.

Anonymous said...

I am that guy who got ratfucked repeatedly with my KK, KK, and AK all running into pocket aces. Sure, sure, I should "know" when I'm up against them right? Please. I just ain't that good.

Anyway, I decide that I'm gonna play in the Ocean's 11 tourney the next morning. My leg and buttocks are on fire due to the bulging disc I have in my back.

*BBBBBbbbbbrrrrrzzzzzzzzztttttt!!*

9:00 AM arrives quickly when you are sweaty and lurky and in pain. Fuck it. I gots to get in that game at Ocean's 11!

I arrive barely in time. Buy in for $65 bucks. Sit down.

And I then proceed to rule.

Limp in with KK and then value raise the whole way on this guy to the tune of 2000 chips during the first level on a Q-9-2 rainbow board. (you get 2500 to start). Nice. When I flipped over the kings, one player whistled and another said, "Jesus ... you played those REAL smooth."

Fold 45 hands in a row until it's time to play cards. 153 "players" pared down to the kids that really meant business. Pre-final table break, I waltz outside to inform Jay that I am the GREATEST EVER, when suddenly, upon glancing into the Pai Gow/Blackjack area, I am stricken with the beauty of a blond-haired, tight-bodied Valkyrie. She catches me staring, I don't break the eye-fuck, she smiles and looks down at whatever. I decide at that point that regardless of how the rest of this fucking day goes, I am going to introduce myself. Look at the clock, realize that I must get back to business.

10 players. I'm about fifth in chips. The dust settles ... four player remain, and we decide to choppy choppy. Chip leader (The Chosen One, who single-handedly busted out FIVE players at the final table with such hands as Q-7) took $2000, me and Jim (obviously some guy who physically trains and rapes Marines) took $1420, and small stack fourth place took $1000. I took two Polaroids with The Chosen One (TM), with stacks of money, and he's fucking ecstatic, he's NEVER PLAYED a poker tourney before, and he's the MAN. I shake his hand, cash in my ticket (Oh, by the way, I wrote down "Jay Smith" as my player name. No shit.) for a sweet, satisfying $1420. My back and leg are screaming, but fuck it, I'm happy as hell.

It gets better.

I walk on out, past the Pai Gow and Blackjack area, and I can't see my fucking girl. Decide: Fuck it. Waltz on in.

Providence.

She's at the dealer's/croupier's locker area. I exclaim, "Perfect." She looks over, and smiles. I say, "I'm glad that I caught you. I wanted to say hello, and give you this. My name is Joe."

She smiles, looks at the piece of paper, and says, "So ... do you live in LA?"

Long story short, I end our in-depth convo by saying, "Yeah, I don't always look this scruffy, I apologize. But I'd love for you to give me a call."

Her response: "No. You look just fine. I'm going to give you a call."

I smile, extend my hand, and say, "I'd really like that."

AND I'M OUT.

P.S. She called today. Perhaps it is I who truly am the Chosen One.

Ja Mata said...

johnny - who which girls is it? Name? There are a few hotties there.

Anonymous said...

I'm not flowing her name on a public blog until I actually seal the deal. I can't chance it that Ja Mata would ratfuck me just to cockblock me in a cheap and lowdown manner. I'm not accusing you of anything, I'm just playing it conservatively, you understand.

As for your comment about the existence of several hotties ... there are? I really have only seen the one I'm talking about. Of course, I usually only go in the evenings, and for about three hours at a session, so I'm probably missing a fair amount of personnel.