Tuesday, September 4, 2007

small loss to start sept

just a couple of hands tend to make the difference. i flopped top pair with an open end straight draw and got check raised all in by a short stack, i had to call, and bricked out. her top pair, better kicker won the pot.

i raised from the small blind to $22 with QQ and was called in 2 spots. the flop was 9 high and i bet the pot. the big blind went all in for only $26 more, then another player called his bet! wow, this seems like an easy laydown with 1 pair, but for the odds i was getting (call $26 more into a pot of almost $300), i couldn't bring myself to fold. maybe i hit my miracle Q, or running straight cards. anyway, the big blind had flopped 2 little pair and the caller had flopped an open end straight draw and a backdoor flush draw. his straight came on the turn and i was drawing dead. this kid that took down the pot was a serious moron too, which made losing the pot so much more painful. he just wouldn't shut his chatty kathy ass up about the hand and why he called pre-flop and why he called on the flop, and how he thought i had an overpair, blah blah blah. i thought to myself, next time in the blinds, i'm bumping to $30 or $35.

i then proceeded to pick up some nice pairs and get little to no action with JJ, JJ, and AA.

i flopped a set of 3s in an unraised pot and somehow got it all in on the flop. the flop was A-3-6 with 2 diamonds. the small blind led for $15, player b called, i made it $40. the small blind called my raise, then player b went all in for another $65 on top of my raise. i raised his bet to $150, and the small blind shipped them in over the top of me. if i was beat, so beit, but i can't fold a set here. the small blind must have thought i was raising with a diamond draw. the small blind had me covered, so i'm all in for the main pot and all in for the side pot as well. winning this pot outright puts me back even for the night. i guess player b thought it was a tournament, cuz he flipped his hand over immediately once we were all in. he held AdJd for top pair with the nut flush draw. ok, i'm still a big favorite as his trips and 2 pair cards are dead (barring some crazy runner runner), he has 9 clean outs twice, so i'm a 70% favorite or so. wasn't sure what the small blind held yet. the turn is a 7s, which isn't a complete brick as 4-5 got there, but i'm not too unhappy with it. and the river......4d. those several big hands in a night make the difference, but i knew i played it right.

the small blind showed AQ (both black cards) for pretty much dead money in the pot on the flop. my set won the side pot, which gave me a modest profit on the hand. okay, but not exactly what i was looking for.

so i was down 2/3 of a buyin on the session. not too terrible considering how my big hands played out.

2 comments:

Ja Mata said...

(call $26 more into a pot of almost $300), i couldn't bring myself to fold. maybe i hit my miracle Q, or running straight cards.

At 11.5:1 to call that you were good on the money. Its 11.5:1 for the extra Q alone plus a tiny kicker for runner runner. You have make these calls to climb back once and awhile - its a big win at that point.

What would Johnny Hotcock do? He would say "I am the greatest ever for I am the Chosen One, and I am going to eye-fuck the blond-haired, tight-bodied Valkyrie from his last antics at Oceans 11.

Anonymous said...

Ja Mata is close to what I'd say, although eye-fucking really isn't my thing. I prefer a lot of mouf-sex. I think Ja Mata is projecting a bit, but hey, to each their own.

I don't think I'm the greatest every, quite honestly. I have always stated that I'd rather take on a table full of putzes than deal with Phil Ivey or Ted Forrest. My object in this game is to play the best I can, which means making smart decisions and getting in while I'm ahead. Ultimately, it's about the money you win. It's the best and most honest way to keep score.