Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Hands I played

After some decompression time, I thought I would post some notes on key hands that I played throughout my Main Event.

In 14 hours of poker it was frustrating to make only 3 real hands better than 1 pair.
1. I made that 10d high flush with pocket 10s. I missed a bet on the end there, I assume the other guy had an over pair with no diamond.
2. I flopped set of 6s at my second table and doubled up through top pair / straight draw.
3. I turned broadway with AQ (my absolute favorite hand!!) in the small blind and the guy made his flush with KQ. Lost a decent sized pot there.

Level 1 - 50/100
Nice start to the Main Event - my first hand is 3-5 offsuit.

The first hand I won was with Kh6h in the CO in a limped pot. 4 players to the flop. Flop of 865 rainbow. Check to me, I bet 300, everyone folds.

Twice I held AQ and called standard raises to airball the flop and fold to a bet.

Pocket 4s in the cutoff. Standard raised pot. 3 players see an A high flop. Check, check to me, I bet and take down the pot.

I finally get in a pot with the 1 complete donkey at the table. I make a standard raise to 300 in early position with 9s. Donkey re-raises in the SB to 1300. I call. Flop is 567 rainbow. I could put him on AK/AQ, but really those are the only hands I can beat right now. He checks and I check behind for pot size control and with a chance to make the 2nd nuts with an 8. I don't want to get in a huge pot with pocket 9s at this point. If he has AK, my 9s are still good anyway. Turn is a 10. He checks again, I bet 1500, he raises 5000 more to 6500. I fold. Maybe he had 10s, but I think I was giving him too much credit, based on hands I saw from him later on. But regardless, I couldn't beat too much with 9s. [later he re-raised preflop with A8 and raised big on the river with a flush on a paired board. his opponent had a boat and took down a huge pot].

AA on the button. Unopened to me, so I raise to 225, hoping to get some value for my premium hand. SB folds. BB re-raises to 750. Yea! I've got some action. But he will pay to see a flop. I raise to 1500. To my surprise, he re-pops it to 3500. Alright, I'm pretty sure he has KK or QQ, so I should have just called his raise and let him make a big bet on the flop with an overpair. But, for some reason, I push all in. He thinks then folds and shows QQ. I think a blew an opportunity here to get some chips. After a pretty bad run of losing with AA in the previous month, I was too anxious to get all the chips in. I didn't play smart poker on this hand -- this is the one hand I think I misplayed, as I might have been able to get all his chips.

Pocket 10d-10h on the button. I call an early position raise to 400 along with the cutoff. Flop is all babies. Initial raiser leads out for $900, the cutoff folds, I call. Turn puts 3 diamonds on board, still all undercards to my 10s. He bets out just $1000, so I call with my overpair and flush draw. River is another diamond, putting 4 on board. He checks......and I check behind. I might have missed a small value bet there with a 10 high flush, but certainly didn't want to get check raised if he held the Kd or Ad. A little cautious, but I feel I might have sucked out on that hand if he held JJ or QQ. He was a fairly bad player, so I don't think it was intentional for him to price me in on the turn. My flush was good.

Both the hand before the 10s and the hand right after, I held pocket 9s and couldn't make anything happen with them.

No comments: